Monday, August 1, 2011

Color Palette Mondays: Whale Watching

Today the hubby and I went on a whale watching cruise out of Newport Beach Harbor.  I was not overly impressed with the overall operation who took us out, but we got a pretty good discount so I can't complain too much.  Plus we got to see a bunch of dolphins and even a fin whale!  The down side was that we've had some wacky weather this weekend - storms around here and tropical storms starting to push their way up from the South - so the waves were crazy high.  I didn't get a ton of pictures at all, because we were being tossed around so much some times it was hard enough to find a spot where I could see, much less be able to hold the camera steady enough to snap a shot.  I did get a couple of cool videos of the dolphins jumping near our boat, because I realized that while I couldn't get a still shot my camera takes pretty good video :) I'm always the problem solver! When I figure out how to edit them, I will try posting one or two here.  Now I know you're thinking, this is a really long story since she didn't get any pictures on the whale watching cruise, why is she telling us all this when she's going to use some other picture today.  Well, I got some good pictures while we were more in the harbor where the water was calmer.  On the way in, our captain took us right up to the bouy that marked the end of the harbor area, and there were half a dozen sealions hanging out on the bottom of it.  They were super cool, and posing for our cameras.  They make an interesting color palette, don't you think?


I had to pull the green in form the alge on the bouy as well as that bright red of the bouy.

The other really great photo op I got was as everyone was getting off the boat.  A small fishing boat had stopped near where we were docked, and a pelican was hanging out.  The boat had two grown ups and a kid about 10, and best I can tell the kid decided to throw the leftover bait (maybe, or something else, I didn't see) into the water for the pelican.  Well, that attracted about a dozen more pelicans, and as the boat drove away trying to escape, one of the pelicans saw our boat and decided we might have food.  He started swimming right up to where I was standing, until he was about 5 feet away!  I love me some pelicans, so quickly snapped a few shots before we had to run off the boat!  I love this shot, and I really had fun pulling a color palette out of this guy.  It's actually kind of beautiful, don't you think?


Hope y'all had a great weekend too!  Did you do something exciting this weekend?  

No comments:

Post a Comment